Many people think of sailing as a hobby rather than a sport. This is because the health benefits of sailing are often taken for granted. Contrary to popular belief, sailing could be a great addition to your regular fitness routine while having fun out in the water. Here are a few of the many benefits that you can get from setting sail.
1. Muscle strength/Endurance – The constant pulling and hoisting of sails to get the yacht on the right direction helps strengthen the shoulders, back and thigh muscles.
2. Cardiovascular fitness – Sports like tennis and baseball can reduce the risk of hypertension, obesity and other heart illness. Sailing, like these intense sports can also improve your cardiovascular health. This is because of the large amounts of oxygen uptake that happens when you engage in such activities.
3. Overall wellness – Being out on the water puts you on a good mood not just because of the calmness of the water but because of the saltiness of the air. The varying moods of a person are greatly affected by the body chemical called serotonin. The saltiness of the sea air is composed of charged ions that helps in the body’s oxygen absorption which in turn results to a more balanced levels of serotonin. The more balanced your body’s serotonin levels are, the happier you’re going to be.
4. Relaxation – The sound of the wind in the sails, splashing water and the rhythmic boat movement can all influence your brainwave patterns. This provides a soothing environment that can significantly reduce high stress levels.
5. Agility – Tasks associated with sailing can also help you to be more flexible and agile. They can greatly improve your hand and eye coordination and motor skills.
6. Concentration – Because many people today are chronic multi-taskers, they should develop a deep sense of concentration. With the ultimate goal of staying safe while on board, sailing enhances a person’s ability to focus even with multiple tasks at hand.
7. Communication – The captain and his crew must act as a unified unit in order to successfully maneuver a boat. To do this, they need to know how to communicate effectively even through non-verbal ways. You can also have a good sense of cooperation and teamwork when you go on a bareboat charter Whitsundays . Everyone on board has a crucial role to play in order to keep the ship afloat.
This list shows that sailing does not only provide a fun and exciting experience. It also has a positive impact to your mental and physical health. So, the next time you go sailing, you should know that it will be good for you.